Monday, April 11, 2016

Who are we?

Our views, especially religious based, depend a lot on how we view ourselves.  Our perception regarding who we are, our place, our lot in life molds and shapes how we live out our lives.  Our actions are mostly dictated by these presuppositions.  I assume that most people view themselves as being a 'good' person.  As such, they take care to live in a way that reinforces this self-perception.  They may give to charity, coach in their spare time, feed the homeless, or other such selfless acts. On the other hand, if a person views them self as being worthless then they might live their life in doom and gloom, thinking that nothing they do matters or makes any difference in the world or the lives of the people around them.  Perception is everything.  

I was talking to a Mormon friend of mine the other day and we got on the topic of who we are, according to God and the Bible.  Basically, are we 'good' people or not?  After a few minutes, we quickly came to the conclusion that we completely disagreed with each other.  I wanted to share with you what he had to say on the subject (paraphrased):

"How sad to think that some people see themselves as wretched, filthy, or 'dirty, rotten, sinners'.  God is love and He does not see us like that at all!  We (humans) are inherently good people who occasionally make mistakes.  Our lives have value and worth because we are the sons and daughters of God (literally).  And because we are His children, God wants what's best for us, and desires for us to be like Him and has laid out the (Mormon) gospel in such a way to help us achieve that."

I want to ask you - the one reading this blog - a question.  Do you agree or disagree with my friend?  I would encourage you to take a moment or two and really answer this question for yourself.  Go on...I'll wait.  


Have you done it yet?  Good!  So, now, that you've had some time to think about it, let me ask you one more question, and I think the more important of the two.  Does my friend agree with what the Bible says?  

Let's explore this last question using the Bible.


Ephesians 2:1-3
"And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom we all also once lived in the desires of our flesh, doing the things willed of the flesh and of its thoughts; and we were by nature children of wrath even as the rest."

Isaiah 64:6 (emphasis mine)
"But we are all as unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."

1 John 1:8
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Romans 3:23 (emphasis mine)
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Ecclesiastes 7:20
For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

Proverbs 20:9
Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin"?

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Mark 7:21-23 (emphasis mine)
For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.  All these evil things proceed from within and defile the man.

Psalm 51:5
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me

Romans 7:18
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.


There are various other passages that can be used to define "total depravity" but I thought these would suffice to prove my point.  According to the world's standard, yes, one might say they are good.  So long as they don't go to jail, murder anyone, or any major crimes like that and if they pay their taxes, throw their trash away, go to work, help old ladies cross the street, or whatever they can call themselves a good person.  But, if you claim - like I do - to love God and follow His word (Bible) then you have no choice but to hold yourself to His higher standard and come to a very different conclusion.  In fact, you should come up with the exact opposite conclusion: You are not good at all.  And why do you get to this fact?  Because you are a sinner, and God does not take that lightly.  "For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness; no evil dwells with You" (Psalm 5:4).  It makes sense that a Holy, Holy, Holy God would despise sin and completely separate Himself from it and those guilty of it because it can't even dwell in His presence.  Sin is His polar opposite.  Therefore, it is by this standard that we should look at ourselves, and by this standard where we receive a true answer to our question.

Truth be told, the Bible says there is no 'good' person alive.  Even those that do some good, realistically, those deeds are nothing but filth to God.  Our sins have seeped so deeply into our lives and our unrighteousness has dug us so deep a hole that we have absolutely no hope to even think we are even in the same vicinity as 'good'.  Our hearts and minds are wicked and evil.  And though we may desire to do good in the eyes of God, we are completely powerless to do otherwise.

But, is this such a surprise to you?  I mean, you know you're a sinner, right?  I mean, we all make mistakes.  Furthermore, if you were to honestly look at your own track record, you'd even have to admit that you fail according to your own standards.  For instance, how many promises have you broken to yourself?  How many times have you come short of what even you yourself would consider to be a 'good' person?  I'm guessing quite a few times, as have I.  How much more then have you...have I....have we all fallen from the Holy standard of God?  Moreover, God is clear that this reality is not reserved for the lowly or the mighty, to just the Jews, or the gentiles, or to the rich, or the poor, or whatever.  This failure is across the board.  It goes for everyone...every one...EVERYONE.  All of us are guilty and have fallen short.  It doesn't matter who you are, you stand condemned.

When I told my friend this he was audibly taken aback.  My friend asked, "Does this make you feel good?  Do you like hearing about how much of a failure you are?  Thinking that God sees you this way, does this make you feel good about yourself?"  To be honest...No.  No it doesn't.  But that doesn't change the fact that this is who I am.

HOWEVER...luckily, the good news is not in how we measure up to God's standard, or how the Bible describes us, but rather in how God dealt with this reality and demonstrated His glory, His love, His power, and His grace through His son, Jesus.

John 15:3
Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Romans 5:8
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Ephesians 2:4-5
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

So, yes, you are unworthy!  Yes, you are unclean!  Yes, you are a sinner!  Yes, you have failed!  Yes, you stand condemned! and no, you can't do anything to change that! But, know this also...God loves you! Yes, you can be forgiven!  Yes, you do have worth in the eyes of the Creator!  Yes, if you believe on His name, you will be saved!  No, you don't have to go to hell!  And yes, yes, yes, God is good! And of course, yes, all praise and honor and glory to the Father, forever and ever, amen!

You see, it was only when I was willing to honestly look myself for who I really was (according to the Bible) that I came to the realization that I needed to be forgiven, that I needed to be saved, that I needed redemption, that I needed grace, that I needed Jesus!  Thinking like this no longer brings despair or sadness, but great joy!  Yes, Lord, I am unholy...but You lord alone are 'good' and I worship You!  You have cleansed me and forgiven me and I will never forget that fact!  You gave me Your grace and now I am whole and I stand blameless before God because of You!  I stand with the angels and all of creation singing Your praises because You are my redeemer!  

It's not that I am bringing myself down so that I can raise God up, like some sort of religious pulley system (He doesn't need my help to be lifted high anyways).  Rather, I recognize how I truly stand before His throne and in doing so, I can now see God for who He really is!  You see, if I viewed myself as a 'good' person, I might deceive myself into thinking that I can earn salvation and lose sight of God.  I might act like I can do something right according to my own will and gain entry into His kingdom.  And you know what?  If I did that, I would end up losing my soul for all eternity.  Instead, I know who I am, I know what I've done, and I know that "Though [my] sins are like scarlet, they [are now] white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they [are] like wool" (Isaiah 1:18) all because of the blood of the perfect lamb, Jesus.


Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment